TinyML Workshop — from the IoT to the Cloud
Register for the Free Workshop
"If we want to build a truly distributed Internet of Things with billions of sensors then we’re going to need TinyML." - Stacey on IoT
Machine Learning and AI have taken the world by storm. From massively public implementations like ChatGPT, DALL-E-2, and Stable Diffusion - to embedded solutions like TensorFlow Lite and Edge Impulse, ML is becoming the ultimate disruptor.
Likewise, the COVID pandemic has proven that the remote monitoring, controlling, and reporting capabilities enabled by the IoT is becoming more of table stakes requirement (and a cost savings realization) for modern businesses.
In this hands-on virtual workshop, experts from Blues Wireless, Edge Impulse, and Datacake are teaming up to show off the power of combining TinyML (i.e. ML on constrained devices) with the IoT and the Cloud.
Over the course of 4 hours, we will cover the following topics:
- Creating a TinyML model with Edge Impulse.
- Building a custom cloud-based dashboard with Datacake.
- Connecting to the cloud with Cellular IoT from Blues Wireless.
- Wiring up all of the above with Arduino on an STM32 host MCU.
- Remotely updating the program using Notecard Outboard Firmware Update.
You'll walk away from this workshop with fundamental knowledge of TinyML, Cellular IoT, cloud dashboards, and a practical understanding of how to build your own connected ML/IoT project!
PLEASE NOTE: Registration for this workshop is free. However, if you want to follow along with the hands-on portions of the workshop, you MUST be using the following hardware:
- Blues Starter Kit for North America or EMEA
- Adafruit LIS3DH Triple-Axis Accelerometer
- Qwiic Cable (example)
- Micro USB cable (e.g. USB-A to Micro USB or USB-C to Micro USB).
- Charge-only Micro USB cables will NOT work!
Cellular Coverage by Country
The Blues Wireless Notecard provides prepaid cellular IoT by virtue of an embedded SIM. However, if your country is NOT in the list of covered countries (check here for Blues Starter Kit for North America and here for Blues Starter Kit for EMEA), you must use an external SIM card (e.g. Twilio Super SIM, 1NCE, Soracom, among others).
Blues Wireless provides documentation for using an external SIM card that we can briefly cover during the workshop if required.
Alternatively, if your country is covered by the Narrowband Global Notecard, you can purchase one separately.
Attendees only need some very basic knowledge of Arduino development and understanding of 101-level C coding concepts (you can get by with copying-and-pasting provided code!).
To make the most of this workshop, if you want to follow along you MUST come prepared with the following pre-installed:
- Visual Studio Code
- PlatformIO Extension for VS Code
- Node.js v12 or later (we recommend the latest LTS version)
- If using Windows, install the "Tools for Native Modules" (part of the installation process).
- Edge Impulse CLI with npm install -g edge-impulse-cli
- Create a free Blues Wireless Notehub account
- Create a free Edge Impulse Studio account
- Create a free Datacake account